Application Checklist for the iMPS in Homeland Security
- Complete the Graduate School Application (including a nonrefundable application fee of $65).
Your degree application, including receipt of all application materials, must be received by the following deadlines to be considered complete.
- July 1 for fall semester admission
- October 15 for spring semester admission
- March 1 for summer semester admission
On the "Campus, Major, Degree & Semester" page:
- Choose "WORLD CAMPUS" as the campus.
- Choose "HOMELAND SECURITY" as the major.
- Choose "M P S" as the degree.
- Choose "GEOSPATIAL INTELLIGENCE" as the option.
- Submit a statement of purpose — While there is no specific format or content requirement, your statement of purpose should be a personal statement to the admissions committee and may include any of the following: your reasons for pursuing the degree, why you feel you are a good candidate for the program, and any information you would like the admissions committee to know about you personally and/or professionally.
- Submit your Résumé
- Provide names of three recommenders — Upon submission of your application, an email will be sent to each recommender requesting the completion of a reference form contained in the email. Please inform all recommenders they must submit the form in order for your application to be complete.
Send two official transcripts from each undergraduate and graduate institution that you attended regardless of the number of credits or semesters completed. (Penn State even has a convenient transcript request form. Penn State alumni do not need to request transcripts for credits earned at Penn State.) Transcripts not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. Mail transcripts to:
Penn State Harrisburg
777 West Harrisburg Pike
Middletown PA 17057
Send your official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. You may request a GRE waiver if you meet one of the following criteria:
- 3.00 undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) either overall or of the last 60 credits
- 5+ years of professional work experience
- 3.00 GPA upon completion of graduate certificate
- successful completion of a graduate or professional degree
International Applicant English Proficiency — The language of instruction at Penn State is English. All international applicants must take and submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with some exceptions. Minimum test scores and exceptions are found in the English Proficiency section on the Graduate School "How to Apply" page.
Review the technical requirements for this degree program.
Important - please read:
Once you are registered, log into LionPATH regularly to see messages about semester bills. If you don't check your PSU email often, consider forwarding those messages to another email address.
Students who fail to pay their semester by the due date run the risk of being dropped from their courses, and in many cases are not able to be reinstated. A notification will be sent to your PSU email account when your bill is available to view and/or pay on LionPATH. Reminders and several warnings will be sent to your PSU email account should your bill become past due, so please be sure to check or forward your PSU email. This is especially important for the courses that occur in the second term (Sp2 or Fa2). The bill is sent to LionPATH, but you will not receive the same notification that occurs for the first term courses. See the FAQ about Completing Your Registration.
You might still need to take action on your bill - even if someone else is paying it. Third Party Payment of your tuition and fees may be made by a third party — your company, for example. If your company is paying for your tuition and fees, our Student Financial Services office must receive an Authorization to Bill. An Authorization to Bill is a form from your company on letterhead and must include your name, semester, company name, company address, and payment amount. The Authorization to Bill may be faxed directly to the World Campus and Continuing Education Student Financial Services office at 814-863-1385 or emailed to BFO@outreach.psu.edu. If you have questions, you may call the office at 814-863-8300. Once the Authorization to Bill is received, Penn State will adjust your tuition as showing expected payment, and the company will be billed. Your employer must then pay your tuition within 30 days. Action is still required to complete your registration regardless of any amount due, including a zero balance. You will be responsible for any additional money owed. If you don't complete your registration, there could be academic and financial implications.
If you have any questions on how to get started, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.