Courage Services, Inc. is a small, Arlington, VA-based company specializing in cultural and geographic research. Courage has researched, compiled and mapped thousands of ethnic/tribal groups and developed unique placename and geographic data for the Middle East, Central Asia, Southeast Asia and Northern Africa.
We rely on a worldwide network of researchers, former military officers and all-source intelligence analysts for analytical product development and onsite customer support. Selected products and services include:
- Identification and development of regionally-focused subject matter experts
- Development of specialized operational gazetteers, comprised of unique placename and geolocational data
- Development of structured ethnographic/tribal and cultural information databases
- Geospatial Information System (GIS) data development, analysis and production
- Satellite imagery and video analysis
- Onsite support for intelligence, open source and human terrain analysis
JOB TITLE: Junior Data Scientist
SALARY RANGE: $65-85k
PHYSICAL LOCATION: Arlington, VA
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: 0-2 years
Courage Services is looking for a Junior Data Scientist for our Emerging Technologies Division. The ideal candidate will be one that:
- Enjoys immersing themselves in structured and unstructured data, and is challenged by discovering, exploring and validating insights contained within the data of focus.
- Brings intellectual curiosity and creativity along with analytical, computer programming, and communication skills, data-oriented mindset, comfort with ambiguity, and a passion to solve problems that matter.
- Strives for a balance between being mentored by seasoned staff on larger projects and taking an initiative to work alone on smaller projects.
- Balances academic rigor and business pragmatism.
- Communicates their ideas in a clear and concise manner to diverse audiences.
- Has the ability to deal with ambiguity and uncertainty with a degree of maturity.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work with Senior Level Staff to develop and validate predictive models and natural language processing.
- Assist in the Development of rule algorithms to operate on very large datasets and to provide robust assessment and predictive value in data.
- Mine structured and unstructured data using open source and proprietary tools.
- Identify new technologies, tools, and research trends and assess their impacts on Courage Services business processes.
- Assist in the development of Decision Support Tools.
EDUCATION/TRAINING: BA/BS or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics, with 0 to 2 years of professional experience.
SKILLS: Candidates must display:
- Basic Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems such as ArcGIS.
- Working knowledge of any two of the following programming languages: C++, C, C#, Visual Basic, and Visual Basic with Applications, SQL.
- Working knowledge of one of the following statistical/mathematical software packages: R, SAS, SPSS, Matlab or equivalent.
- Basic familiarity with experimental design concepts and practices, pattern recognition, fuzzy logic systems, natural language processing, and data–driven predictive model development. Basic Experience with multivariate statistics (regression, principal components analysis and clustering).
- Basic knowledge of unstructured data is desired but not required.
LEVEL OF SECURITY CLEARANCE NEEDED: Applicants selected will be subject to a security investigation and need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. US Citizenship required.
Courage Services is fueled by intelligent, driven and committed employees. We offer a full range of benefits, including competitive salaries, comprehensive health plan including dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance policies, 401(k) plan with company match and educational reimbursement. Courage Services is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer that values Diversity in the workplace.
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: JR Data Scientist Position in the Subject Line of your email.