Forestry Internship – Summer 2014
May - August (flexible dates)
Plum Creek is one of the largest private landowners in the United States, with 6.3 million acres of timberlands in 19 states. We are headquartered in Seattle, publicly traded on the NYSE (Symbol: PCL) and listed on the S&P 500. Our highly regarded Forestry Matters™ internship program is the opportunity you have been waiting for to transform yourself from “book smart” to “field ready”. This program is open to current undergraduate and graduate students in academic fields such as forestry, biology, geology, hydrology, environmental studies and related fields.
We have opportunities for Forestry Interns in the following states: West Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan, New Hampshire, Maine, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana and Arkansas.
The Forestry Matters™ internship program offers our interns a chance to achieve the following:
- Gain valuable experience in forest management
- Collaborate with professional foresters
- Explore forestry disciplines and career interests
- Learn progressive practices from an industry leader
- Earn an income
- Build a professional network
- Contribute to the future of sustainable forestry
What Our Interns Do
Forestry interns work alongside and under the supervision of professional foresters, wildlife biologists, and other forestry professionals to actively manage Plum Creek forestland. Our internships are structured as entry-level jobs that expose participants to dozens of skills and build proficiencies in a variety of forestry disciplines and duties. These areas may include:
- Harvest planning and administration
- Site preparation administration
- Regeneration surveys
- Road construction and maintenance
- Forest products marketing and manufacturing
- Nursery, seed orchard, and silviculture operations
- Supporting the achievement of environmental objectives
- Recreational operations
- Ecological research or conservation easement formation
- Use of current technologies, including GIS, mobile load tracking, and Xmap
Internships are temporary, summer opportunities that are hired and paid through a temporary staffing service that will conduct pre-employment background checks and drug screens. Interns will have access to a company vehicle, so a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record is required. This is a paid internship starting at $12 per hour, with additional consideration for prior work experience.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday; varies by location, approximately 40 hours per week, with occasional, required overtime.
Duration: May – August 2014 (flexible and can be discussed at the time of the interview)
For more information, including application deadlines and instructions, please visit our Career Center at: www.plumcreek.com/careers
If you do not see your ideal location, please continue checking our site for updates or create a Job Agent to receive e-mail notifications. If you are interested in more than one location, you must apply to each unique opportunity to be considered. We are unable to accept resumes via e-mail. For technical assistance with your online application please email email@example.com.
Plum Creek is an Equal Opportunity Employer.