Recognized by the San Francisco Times as one of the "Ten Coolest Internships," an Internship at AccuWeather offers rewarding, high impact projects and assignments that build your resume. The Data Analyst Intern – Location Management will focus on analyzing our existing core datasets, including forecast, climatology, and current conditions, to identify areas where AccuWeather can enhance the spatial coverage of these datasets for its customers. As a member of the location management team, this position will interface with internal and external customers to produce high quality datasets used by many of AccuWeather’s industry leading products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Spatially analyze existing datasets to identify opportunities for improvement for existing datasets.
- Produce maps to help explain the results of the above analysis.
- Compare new source datasets with existing data to determine which locations need to be added/updated/removed.
- Update metadata for existing locations.
- Work closely with the forecasting and climatology departments to implement corrections/updates.
BACKGROUND AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Working toward or has obtained a BS in a science or technology field is required, but BS in Meteorology or Geography preferred
- Basic understanding of weather and how it is impacted by physical geography.
- Required technical skills:
- Experience using GIS toolkits such as ESRI’s ArcMap
- Ability to write simple T-SQL queries to aide in data comparisons
- Additional technical skills desired, but not required:
- Experience using Model Builder in ESRI’s ArcMAP
- Relational Databases
- Ability to work with and understand datasets that are in multiple languages
- Ability to work in a high-paced work environment
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Capable of explaining solutions to problems/questions in both a technical and non-technical fashion.
AccuWeather is an Equal Opportunity Employer