Primary Role: Identify assets and update or create maps and customized geographic information systems (GIS) applications and manipulate data to serve a variety of purposes. Read and interpret maps, and as-built drawings to locate, obtain, manipulate and understand digital land data, and manage data entered into a GIS database.
- Manage as-built plans of completed projects and update system maps.
- Ability to learn and understand the basic water and wastewater network structures as it applies to a network GIS configuration.
- Responsible for reviewing engineering plans, and interpreting aerial imagery including maps that are sometimes inaccurate. Must be able to orient oneself within said map using GPS position, perform dead-reckoning, compare reality, GIS, GPS, & sketches and route tables to assign the correct assets in the map to GPS positions taking.
- Thoroughly review each block surveyed for items in map that are incorrect or need to be captured. Must be attentive, noticing missing/incorrect assets, premise, etc.
- Responsible for performing basic IT troubleshooting to address typical or unexpected computer communication problems that might affect GPS signal strength, Mobile Broadband, Bluetooth, Networks, etc.
- Provide active feedback to GPS project manager. Due to the highly sensitive nature of the technology involved the workflow does not work with the same quality/ consistency everywhere all the time.
- Responsible to adjust workflow / learn new techniques as the process is improved through feedback.
- Ability to perform these tasks while maintaining a culture of elevated safety through risk reduction in challenging work environments including poor weather, proximity to traffic, searching for assets in and under landscaping and other obstructions, etc.
Education: Associate's Degree or Technical School equivalent with coursework in drafting and engineering, or equivalent experience and training that provides required knowledge, skills, and ability.
- ArcGPS and ArcMaps
- Excellent understanding of Mobile GIS for Windows, RTK networks and GNSS.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Works well within a team, outstanding listening skills, and ability to follow directions.
- Company standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater construction techniques preferred.
- Familiar with survey GPS equipment, Mobil GIS for Windows, RTK networks and GNSS.
- Knowledge of data collection principles and practices, and experience deploying or operating mobile GIS solutions, including GPS units with Mobile GIS for Windows as the data collection software and the SXBLUE III GNSS with RTK real-time post processing as the survey GPS.
Experience: Two (2) years of experience in the design and development of geospatial information systems using ESRI technology.
Certifications & Licenses: Certificate in Geographic Information Systems helpful but not required.
Work Environment: 10% Office and 90% Field/Construction site
Travel Requirements: Local