I hope all is well.
The landbase at Pa. One Call System is a significant investment and encompasses the entire commonwealth. We have a significant number of revisions and enhancements to complete due to recent legislation.
Pa. One Call System is offering a position of GIS Intern for the summer term. A position description is enclosed. The position will be a temporary assignment and includes minimum wage payroll status through a staffing firm. The intern will work at our office in West Mifflin, PA.
Feel free to contact me with questions or comments.
Director - Technology
Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc.
Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc.
GIS Intern - Posting
Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc. is a privately funded, non-profit Pennsylvania corporation.
Our purpose is to prevent damage to underground facilities. To promote safety, we provide an
efficient and effective communications network among project owners, designers, excavators,
and facility owners.
PA One Call System, Inc. is seeking an intern to assist with GIS projects in our West Mifflin, PA
office as a paid position where the intern would also pursue college credit. The rate of pay is
$7.25 per hour and will qualify for college credit where available.
This is an excellent internship opportunity for an enthusiastic and talented individual to join a
team of professionals. The position offers a fantastic working environment and the opportunity
to apply the latest technology to a variety of projects. Typical projects involve assisting GIS
analysts with creation and management of Land Base data. Housing is not provided for
internship; local candidates are preferred.
Technical responsibilities may include:
• Assisting Pa. One Call System, Inc.’s analysts in updating Land Base data
• Quality assurance of polygons that represent municipal boundaries
• Checking for graphical and technical accuracy of project deliverables and associated
• Creating WMS, WFS, and WMTS services with Geo Server or other open source map
• Candidates are required to be currently enrolled in a Bachelors or degreed program to
be considered for this internship; geography or GIS degrees preferred.
• Knowledge, interest, and project experience in GIS (MapInfo) applications
• Strong oral, people, and written communication skills
• MapInfo or ESRI ArcGIS Skillsets
• Knowledge of creating WMS, WFS, and WMTS services with Geo Server or other open
Layers, and/or Leaflet JS)
• Knowledge of SQL Server 2014+ and spatial data implementation
• Knowledge of Digital elevation models
• Knowledge of Orthoimagery
• Knowledge of Land Use/Land Cover
At this time, Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc. will not sponsor new applicants for work
Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. Prior to a final offer of internship, the
selected candidate will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but
is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, drug
testing, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These background
screenings will be conducted by Pa. One Call System, Inc.’s background vendor of choice and
will be conducted in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local law.
Interested candidates should inform their respective advisor then contact Jonathan DeMoss,
Director Technology, at Pa. One Call System, Inc. The first interview will consist of a telephone
conversation to explain the expectations and answer questions.