NWI Assistant Wetlands Coordinator Positions Announcement
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service National Wetlands Inventory (NWI) Program is excited to share our vacancy announcement for two permanent staff! It is part of a general biologist announcement in USAJOBS (see below). The announcement opened on April 27, and will close on May 11. In it, there are general biologist requirements, as well as additional information/duties in a separate spreadsheet listing all 99 biologist positions being advertised across the country. To find information on the NWI positions, search for “ES Headquarters” under the Program column and “Hadley, MA: Fort Collins, CO” under the Duty Station column. Additional information/duties for the Assistant Wetlands Coordinator are listed.
Briefly, staff will be hired at the GS-7, 9 or 11 pay scale, and will serve as Assistant Wetlands Coordinators for the NWI Program. The incumbents will primarily manage, coordinate and provide quality control for multiple NWI wetland mapping projects in support of the NWI Geospatial Dataset, which is served on the Wetlands Mapper (https://www.fws.gov/wetlands/Data/Mapper.html). The incumbents will also serve as technical experts on wetland identification and mapping, and support production of Wetlands Status and Trends reports as needed. Applicants will be assessed based on demonstration of knowledge, skills and abilities related to wetland mapping and analysis listed in the additional information spreadsheet in USAJOBS and describe in more detail below. Note that applicants are not expected to have all skills at the start of employment and training will be provided. NWI is interested in applicants who are enthusiastic, flexible and willing to learn.
1) Strong working knowledge of wetland science, including knowledge of the ecological, geographical and hydrological basis for wetland position and type at the landscape scale.
2) Strong working knowledge of techniques used to identify wetlands in the field, and using remotely sensed imagery.
3) Demonstrated skill in interpretation of optical remote sensing data, including aerial photographs or fine spatial resolution satellite data with an emphasis on wetlands.
4) In depth knowledge of GIS and cartographic principles, concepts and practices, especially knowledge related to geographic data capture and attribute assignment.
5) Strong demonstrated skill in using ESRI software, including ArcGIS or ArcPro, to display, map, analyze and summarize natural resource information relevant to wetlands.
6) Ability to quickly and accurately create and edit vector data using GIS software.
7) Knowledge of Quality Assurance/Quality Control principles for GIS review, especially relevant to the Federal Geographic Data Committee Wetlands Mapping Standard.
8) Demonstrated skill in spatial and statistical analysis using Model builder, Python and R.
9) Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively regarding complex GIS workflows and wetland ecology.
10) Ability to independently solve problems and select techniques for carrying out assignments.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to write a detailed cover letter summarizing their proficiencies relative to those listed in the formal announcement and the accompanying spreadsheet, as well as the geographic location where you would be willing to work (Hadley, MA and/or Fort Collins, CO). The NWI Assistant Wetlands Coordinator positions should also be specifically mentioned in your cover letter. Inquiries regarding these positions, and not the general application process, should be made to Jonathan Phinney, Chief of the Branch of Geospatial Mapping and Technical Support (Jonathan_Phinney@fws.gov).
Position Vacancy Announcement Number HR Point of Contact Link to Announcement
GS-7/9 (FPL 11) MP MR-20-10798825-MM-MP Melissa McPherson https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/566670600
GS-7/9 (FPL 11) DE MR-20-10798827-MM-DE Melissa McPherson https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/566670500
GS-11 (FPL 11) MP MR-20-10798852-IS-MP Isabel Schein https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/566670800
GS-11 (FPL 11) DE MR-20-10798853-IS-DE Isabel Schein https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/566671200