Registration Information for Resident Graduate Students

Are you a Resident Graduate Student at Penn State who would like to take a class in our Online Geospatial Education Program?

  1. What classes can I take and when can I take them?

    Please see our class calendar ( for a schedule of classes and links to syllabi (and in most cases complete course contents).
  2. How do I register for a class? Choose one of these options:
    • I'd like to take one or two classes.

      If you wish to take a class or two and it's not important to you to complete a full certificate program, please contact us at and indicate that you are a resident graduate student. Let us know what classes you're interested in taking and we will be glad to help you register.
    • I'd like to take classes to pursue a Certificate in GIS, GEOINT, or Remote Sensing.

      If you wish to apply to one of our certificate programs, please go to our Apply Now page to get started.
    • I'd like to add the MGIS as a dual degree.

      Please contact us at and indicate that you are a resident graduate student wanting to add the MGIS Program as a dual degree.
  3. What does this cost me? 

    If you are a full time student, you shouldn't need to pay any additional tuition. 
  4. Who can I contact if I have questions?

    Please email us at if you have questions. Please indicate that you are a resident graduate student and let us know what you're hoping to study with us.

Important Information for International Students

F-1 and J-1 students cannot change their campus designation to World Campus. Full-time enrollment in World Campus is a violation of F-1 and J-1 status. In addition, if you have been approved for a reduced course load or your last enrollment is in summer session, you cannot be enrolled for only distance education (web-based) courses. Whether you are a full-time or part-time student, you must have resident instruction classes because you, otherwise, do not need to be in F-1 or J-1 status. You can take web-based course from outside the United States.

  • F-1 students may count only one 3-credit course in distance education (Independent Learning, World Campus, web) or on-line course towards full-time enrollment each semester.
  • J-1 students must enroll full-time in resident instruction classes.


If you have any questions on how to get started, please email us at