Register for a single class

It is possible to enroll in one of our classes without being admitted to a Certificate and Master's program. We have many students who take a class or two for professional development. You will first need to be admitted to the University as a non-degree graduate student using the procedures shown below. To be admitted as a non-degree graduate student you must have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution under residence and credit conditions substantially equivalent to those required by Penn State.

Important - please read:

Once you are registered, log into LionPATH regularly to see messages about semester bills. If you don't check your PSU email often, consider forwarding those messages to another email address.

You might still need to take action on your bill - even if someone else is paying it. Third Party Payment of your tuition and fees may be made by a third party — your company, for example. If your company is paying for your tuition and fees, our Student Financial Services office must receive an Authorization to Bill. An Authorization to Bill is a form from your company on letterhead and must include your name, semester, company name, company address, and payment amount. The Authorization to Bill may be faxed directly to the World Campus and Continuing Education Student Financial Services office at 814-863-1385 or emailed to If you have questions, you may call the office at 814-863-8300. Once the Authorization to Bill is received, Penn State will adjust your tuition as showing expected payment, and the company will be billed. Your employer must then pay your tuition within 30 days. 

Registering for the first time

If you've already taken classes with us, visit Returning Students for instructions.

  1. Complete the Graduate School On-Line Application - If you have already applied, skip to Step 2.
    Apply to Take Individual Courses:
    If you wish to register for one course by itself, please select "Nondegree Admission - $30.00." You will then have the option to select World Campus for Campus, and you will pick the semester you want. PLEASE NOTE: If there is a chance that you will want to earn a GIS, GEOINT, Remote Sensing, or Programming certificate, please choose "Certificate Admission - $65.00." You won't be able to change the option once you have taken a class. If you choose nondegree admission and decide later that you want to earn a certificate, you will need to apply again with the certificate admission option and pay a second fee.
  2. Current World Campus students with an active Access Account can register on LionPATH. Most new World Campus students will be prompted to activate their Access Account following their acceptance to World Campus. (Reenrolling students will follow a different account activation process.) 
  3. Register Online Using LionPATH:
    1. Go to LionPATH. You will then be in the Student Center.
    2. You will need to complete the Pre-Registration Activity Guide.
    3. Click on the Search for Classes tab in the top right corner.
    4. Select WC-World Campus.
    5. In the Subject text box, type or choose GEOG from mthe drop down. If known, you can enter a specific course number. Hit the Search button.
    6. In the Course drop-down list, choose the course you want. Click the select button by the desired course.  
    7. If a green circle is displayed by the course information, this indicates that the course is open for enrollment and you can hit next to add the course to your shopping cart. A yellow triangle indicates that the course is full, but you can reserve a seat on the wait list. A blue square indicates the course is closed for enrollment.
    8. Click on your shopping cart.  Click Select button beside the course, and then hit the green enroll button.  This course has now been added to your schedule.
    9. The semester bill will be generated and sent to you at a later time. Semester bills are created on the first of the month and due on the 22nd of that month. You will receive notification in your PSU email.


If you have any questions, please email us at

Frequently Asked Questions about Completing Your Registration

International Students

International applicants whose first language is not English or who have not received a baccalaureate or master's degree from an institution in which the language of instruction is English must submit a TOEFL score with their Graduate School application materials. The Graduate School recommends that a minimum overall total score of 80 points (out of 120) on the new test, with a minimum of 23 points (out of 30) on the new speaking portion, should be required for new students.